Mission and Values
Maryland Shakespeare Festival brings Shakespearean and classic theatre to everyone through a unique and powerful connection with its community of theatergoers, artists and students. Maryland Shakespeare Festival enlightens, educates and awakens a world of infinite possibility.
Values that unite us:
The Maryland Shakespeare Festival is committed to the highest artistic and professional aesthetic in bringing the legacy of Shakespeare to our audiences, children and communities.
- We value pursuing excellence while fostering a spirit of inquiry in all our work.
- We believe in a spirit of serious play that tempers a strong work ethic and sense of purpose with joy, humor, and wit.
- We value a spirit of generosity and honesty in which all persons are honored for their experience, humanity, and individuality.
- We believe that our staff and artists should receive competitive wages and secure benefits.
- We are committed to creating an environment in which artists are encouraged to grow, develop and take risks.
- We believe that exploring Elizabethan theatrical practices can create enlivening experiences for contemporary audiences and that the relationship between actors and audience is at the heart of the theatrical experience.
- We are committed to a model that both educates and mentors.
- We value and encourage, and listen to the voices of our children, and then listen to them.
- We value diversity and strive to be good neighbors and to work for the community’s well-being.